La Scarzuola
la_scarzuola_30_03_2016003009.jpg
In the history
Events
To find us
Our friends
A Franciscan convent founded by Saint Francis of Assisi in 1218, who planted a laurel and rose bush here and caused a water spring to gush, it is called after a marsh plant, the Scarza, which the saint used to build himself a hut. The Church apse houses a fresco of first half of the eighteenth century depicting a levitating Saint Francis. In 1956 the convent complex was bought and restored by milan architect Tomaso Buzzi (1900-1981) who, between 1958 and 1978, planned and erected his own idela city, envisaged as a theatrical machine, next to the convent, Buzzi's city, which includes as many as 7 theatres, culminates in the Acropolis, a wealth of buildings consisting of a number of archetypes which, empty inside and equipped with as many volumes as one might find in a termites nest, reveal a number of visitas. A somewhat esoteric relationship was thus established between the convent (the holy city) and the theatrical workshops (the lay  city), both of them laden with symbols and secrets, references and quotations. Drawing its inspiration frolm Francesco Colonna' Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (1499), the style best interpreting its licence is the neo-manierism he identified in the use of stairs in all directions, the deliberate disproportion of some parts, a few gargoyles, the heaping together of buildings and monuments, resulting in a whole characterised by a surreal, labyrinthine, evocative, geometric, astronimical and magic nature.
05010 Montegabbione (Tr)
Tel e Fax 0763/837463 info@lascarzuola.com 
info@pec.lascarzuola.com